Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bags Packed

It's deadline time folks. It's also time to watch the talking heads say that they KNOW for a FACT that Kevin Garnett will be Bull and that Jason Kidd will be in Los Angeles by tomorrow. You know what? Not happening. Really, when is trade speculation ever right? I'll tell you when, very rarely. If I was a Bulls fan, I sure as hell wouldn't get to giddy over Garnett because at this point, not even Pau Gasol is looking feasible. LA wants Kidd, but NJ wants Bynum. Now, would Lakers fans really be excited about trading a 19 year old 7-footer for a deteriorating 33 year old point guard. I doubt it.

Who is most likely to move?

Scottie Pippen.
The six ringed free agent is attempting a comeback at the primo age of 41. And so far, no teams appear extremely interested. This befuddles me. I mean, why not sign a 41 year old champ to take a spot in your backcourt away from one of your up and comers? Who wouldn't want his playoff experience and excellence. I mean, he doesn't even have that MJ guy to weigh him down anymore. If I was a GM, I'd be jumping at this opportunity to throw a wrench into my contending teams chemistry.

Doc Rivers.
Why he hasn't moved by now is a mystery to me. If I was him, I wouldn't sit around and let them fire me. I would walk away out of sheer embarrassment. His team is 15 games back in the Atlantic division. Which is in the Eastern Conference. They've won 13 games and lost 20 of the last 21 games they've played. [writers note: I don't know if we can call it playing anymore. Now they're just showing up because their contract makes them.] If you don't pay attention to basketball, let me footballize this for you.

What the Celts are doing is equivalent to winning one game in the NFC North.

Yea. It is that bad. And yes, I do blame Doc Rivers. Even when your team is struggling, you have to be able to at least coach them to some wins. Doc should move far, far away.

Mike James.
Kevin McHale should move to. But that case will likely be made on the day when the Timberwolves screw up again. I don't have the time right now to go through all of his screw ups. Instead, I'll focus on one, the signing of Mike James.

Apparently, the Wolves are finally realizing that signing Mike James was a mistake. Really? Because everyone else knew that the second they heard that the Timberwolves had signed Mike James. What was the point in signing a 31 year old career reserve point guard to starter money who has never even been considered as a starter by any other team? Especially when you already have T-Hud and just got Randy Foye through the draft. Hudson is essentially a faster, cheaper version of James. Hudson will never be a starter, just a solid backup. But then they got Foye, who stepped in and played point guard quite effectively as a rook. James's most likely destination is looking like Houston, who he spurned last offseason to come to the Wolves.

Memphis Grizzlies.
If the NBA is looking for a franchise to place in Las Vegas or OK City, the Grizz would be it. This team has floundered in Memphis. The problem is, this would be the second move for the franchise, after moving from Vancouver to Memphis. And really, the Las Vegas Grizzlies or the Oklahoma City Grizzlies, neither sound good. If they trade Pau Gasol, they immediately replace Boston as the worst team in the league. At least Boston has young potential on their team. The Grizzlies have Rudy Gay, a rook whose effort has always been questioned and has never put his talent together. They have Hakim Warrick, who, despite being a 6'9" power forward, averages 4.5 rpg in 25 mpg. That's it. Actually, if I was Las Vegas or Oklahoma City, I would just root for a new franchise. I wouldn't want this heap of crap to become synonymous with my city.

No comments: